AFO’s (Callipers) Custom Made and Readymade
Ankle Foot Orthosis/Callipers, Perth WA
An Ankle-Foot Orthosis (AFO) is an externally fitted device, which is designed to protect, support, prevent, or correct deformity of the foot, ankle, and lower leg. AFOs are sometimes referred to as Callipers, Braces, or Splints, and are commonly used to provide support for Foot Drop or Ankle Instability associated with conditions such as Stroke, Spina Bifida, Cerebral Palsy, Lou Gehrig’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, and Paraplegia.
At Perth Surgical Shoemakers, we supply Ready Made Polypropylene Splint AFOs and Custom Made AFOs. The type of AFO required depends on the type of deformity and the degree of function you have in your foot.
Our Certified Pedorthist and Surgical Shoemakers can recommend a suitable AFO to help provide relief and support for a range of foot and ankle conditions, including:
- Drop Foot (due to stroke or nerve damage)
- Chronic Lateral Instabilities (Supination)
- Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction (Pronation)
- Talo-Calcaneal Valgus & Equinus
- Charcot Foot Deformity
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease
Contact Perth Surgical Shoemakers today to discuss your AFO/Calliper requirements. Our Certified Pedorthist and Surgical Shoemakers will assess your needs and custom make your AFOs for a perfect fit.
For mild foot drop a Dictus Band device can be used. The Dictus Band helps raise the foot after toe-off, which largely eliminates everyday obstacles, such as doorsteps, carpets, pavements, etc.
The main advantages are:
• Discrete and comfortable
• Mount on any lace-up shoe
• Flexible – uses recoil & stretch action with the latex elastic band and hook
• Helps raise the foot after toe-off and reduces the risk of tripping
• Cleans easily with just a damp cloth
• Available in adult & child sizes
Note the Dictus Band also comes with a plastic hook which can be inserted between the laces/Velcro fastening. We can also permanently stitch the plastic hook to the footwear for ease of use.